AND OTHER STUFF . . . .

Monday, November 15, 2010

Veins and CPR



Today N experienced more of the mysterious stomach pain (which fades as the day progresses). Is this anxiety? We are also between two other medical issues—oral surgery for an anklyosed molar (plus various case scenarios for implant and orthodontia, totally unrelated to Down syndrome) and the sleep study coming up very soon. All this individually makes me concerned , but it is all happening simultaneously in my head today. After the oral surgeon consult earlier, we went shoe shopping (no, for him!) and got some pumpkin yogurt.

On the way home from all our errands, N said, “I think my muscles are getting bigger.” Since his swimming hiatus, he has been concerned about a decline in his physique. “You know, Tim has this big vein that pops out of his muscle when he shakes my hand. I wish I had one.” (Tim is his beloved youth pastor.) “Mom, do you think my muscle is getting bigger?” “Hmm, I dunno. Maybe,” I answered. Then he said, “Well, I think . . . . . I do see . . . . you know, . . . . a vein appearing . . . .” It was hard to contain myself and I cracked up, which really puzzled my poor fellow.

This was after he explained to me while we were in the exam room that he thought it would be cool to be a lifeguard. He said he was sure he could pull anyone out of the water who needed help, but he would only be able to do CPR on the girls -- not the guys. He clearly had thought this out. I never know what’s coming next! These moments are so funny to me and keep me from getting too wrapped up in the other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment