AND OTHER STUFF . . . .

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

You Are Wonderfully Made

I keep having a message subtly impressed on me. It comes from a verse in Psalms that came up a lot after my son was born. It confused me a little at the time, because I could not reconcile this with the fact that my newborn had an extra chromosome. I had fallen into the trap of questioning whether someone with a disability could be wonderfully made. (I am embarrassed to admit that now.) Yet, we as parents trusted that it could be true and used it as our chosen verse for N’s baby dedication. “I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well." Psalm 139:14

I have since come to see how my son is most wonderfully made. The world may see his extra chromosome as a fluke or accident, but this teary eyed parent sees it differently. It is so hard to put into words how I feel for him. I regard him as a hand-made gift, especially designed for the good of our family. His nature is beautiful, sensitive, and kind. He is indeed wonderfully made, and so is each person on this planet.

I have believed this now for several years. As I have gotten older I have even dared to believe it about myself. Lately, I struggle to learn and remember some things new to me at a very part- time job I have. Since I work so infrequently, I often have to ask for help and feel conspicuous and awkward. As I was regretting my lack of experience a few weeks ago, I glanced up and saw a banner for sale in the store. It simply said, “You are wonderfully made”. It was almost like an audible voice. I can’t tell you the surprise I felt and the confidence it gave me. I might mess up several times more that day and need reminding over and again, but the fact remains—I AM wonderfully made. It is true and each time I look at that proclamation, it makes me smile, treasuring this personalized wink from my Creator.

The banner also reminds me of all the worth my son and others with disabilities have, simply because they exist. We base our worth all too often on our accomplishments and the things we are proud of. News flash: You are wonderfully made. Because you were made.


1 comment: